2007 - Pride and Accomplishment

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Arnold Classic and Jen Hendershott


After winning last year's Arnold Classic, Jen placed 3rd this year, behind Adela Garcia and Kim Klein.

Here she is, 2nd from left, looking gorgeous as always.

Here's a full report:

http://www.flexonline.com/news/115

All my work is done, well, the bits that I needed to get done, so this arvo I might write up a Newsletter, since my software is back up and running.

I have finally been getting time to read my latest crime novel - it is sensational, Michelle P, I am SURE you would love this one. It's by Jillane Hoffman, called Retribution. It is her first novel, and brilliant. Here's a rundown on it:

RETRIBUTION is not revenge. The folks at the Oxford American Dictionary define "retribution" as a punishment considered to be morally right and fully deserved. Note that "justice" is not included in the equation. Given this definition, Jilliane Hoffman's fine first novel is perfectly titled.

RETRIBUTION begins in New York City in 1988. Chloe Larson, a recent law school graduate, is preparing for the bar examination while maintaining a relationship that seems to be bringing her as much disappointment as fulfillment. Her life is forever changed, however, by a sexual assault that leaves her physically and psychologically maimed. Traumatized and devastated, Larson is unable to deal with the bar examination, while her boyfriend, who is sympathetic but not empathetic, lacks the emotional character to help her heal and finds solace elsewhere.

Larson ultimately experiences a psychological breakdown; as part of her recovery over the next twelve years she changes her hairstyle and color, and fashion sense. She transforms herself into C.J. Townsend; it is now 2000, and Townsend is a tough, hardworking assistant chief attorney in the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's office. She finds herself involved in a major case that will have significant personal and professional repercussions for her. For the past 18 months, a serial killer dubbed by the news media as "Cupid" has terrorized the Dade County area. Eleven local women have gone missing, only to be discovered months later, horribly mutilated and murdered, their bodies found in deserted, out of the way locations. The police catch a break when, during a routine traffic stop, the body of yet another missing woman is discovered in the trunk of a car belonging to a wealthy import salesman named William Bantling.

Townsend handles the high-profile prosecution herself. When Bantling speaks in court, however, Townsend is horrified to realize that Bantling is, in fact, the man who raped and maimed her over a decade before. The realization places Townsend in a moral dilemma: she should, from an ethical standpoint, recuse herself from Bantling's prosecution for murder. If she proceeds and her "relationship," as it were, with Bantling is revealed, he might well be freed on a technicality. Yet the statute of limitations with respect to Bantling's rape of Townsend expired several years before. Prosecuting Bantling, and obtaining his conviction, may well be Townsend's last opportunity to obtain retribution.

This book raises ethical issues with real-world ramifications. Hoffman's ability to subtly play upon the inherent contradictions within the legal system --- too often, those seeking justice are better served in theology school --- is absolutely first-rate, and her ability to clearly delineate the personalities of even her minor players will undoubtedly cause envy among more experienced authors. Oh, and let's not forget the conclusion. Surprise follows surprise. Part of it is, perhaps, predictable. Part of it, most definitely, is not.

RETRIBUTION is an impressive debut from an author who writes like a seasoned journeyman. This novel, which may well be this year's PRESUMED INNOCENT, is simply not to be missed.

--- Reviewed by Joe Hartlaub

So if you like crime thrillers, this book is not to be missed!

Now, Jodi (not to be confused with Jodie!), was asking how my muscle building is going. I sort of answered it in the previous blog, but I think I can elaborate. I do feel I have made definite improvements - but me being me, it's never enough :) However, I now know that in previous years I have not been eating enough calories, consistently, to gain muscle mass. I have been doing so, very diligently I might add, for the past 5 months only. So, I guess I AM being impatient. However, looking back, I have added 5-6lb to my weight since July. My upper body is thicker and more dense, and I am noticing some definite shape to my quads and hammies. Richie says the changes will become evident when I diet down. I can't wait! I don't think he is going to carb deplete/load me during the final week - says it will not be necessary. I know he is going to keep carbs in my diet throughout, so I don't flatten out. Good :) It will be quite different to what I have done before I am sure - the leg training during contest prep sounds interesting - it will change every workout so I am told and incorporate bike riding, and treadmill work into the weight training sessions. In Richie's words, it will kick my *ss. :) So, counting down, 4 more weeks (minus 1 day). I get my skin folds done tomorrow, it's been awhile so am interested to see how it turns out.

Not too sore in the legs which I am bummed about! However, Damien did one of my leg programs 2 days ago and can barely stand up or sit down today, he he :)

Today is a cardio day, so I will go to the gym later and do my incline walk and follow with abs. Tomorrow I will do cardio after having my skin folds done, and then train shoulders and tris with Jodie at 6pm. I also want to book in for a massage as I am noticing my neck starting to feel a little sore again, so it hasn't completely gotten better yet.

Ok, well I have rambled on a bit today!

Thanks girls for all your comments, and for those who have voted for me in the Bride of the Year contest :)

2 Comments:

  • That book sounds really interesting! I think I will have to look out for it. I am in between novels at the moment, haven't read one for a while. Keep us posted as to how good it is!

    By Blogger Chontelle, at 1:19 pm  

  • The Expo was a blast! I got to meet Jen Hendershott since she put on the fashion show. She is adorable and bouncy, and just a doll! She sends her regards to you, Sue, and said you are just an awesome person!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home