2007 - Pride and Accomplishment

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Still hanging in there!

2 cardio sessions today. We got up and cleaned and tidied the house for the inspection, and I did one cardio before taking Rexy to mum's. Mum and I then went to Gloria Jeans for a coffee and then did some grocery shopping. I then collected Rex from under the bed, and brought him home to 'safety'. I had something to eat, did a bit of work, and then needed a sleep. I slept for about an hour. Woke, had my first black coffee for this prep, and then did my 2nd cardio. I have started to ask myself why I am doing a comp in the middle of winter!!! Usually I do October shows, so it's starting to warm up a little by this stage. Posing in tiny costumes is not very fun when your bits are freezing.

I just finished my steak - yum, can have steak 3 x week instead of my salmon now so that was a nice change. I am missing my bigger protein portions!! Now cooking up my veggies and that will be it for the night.

I had someone email and ask how 'selfish' you really have to be in this sport. It truly is a 'selfish' sport. You just have to be, or you won’t make it. For instance, in the final 4 weeks, it gets really tough. Low calories, training 2-3 x day, always hungry, tired – you just don’t have the energy to DO anything much else but train, and you are constantly wanting to eat so you are always fighting the urge. You can’t wait to go to sleep so you don’t have to think about food :) Then you get up and do it all again the next day. I have certainly found there are easier days than others. But there are days that you have to fight with every fibre in your body. You can imagine all of the above if you are having a bad day ie 'starving', exhausted, stressed, cravings - how easily it would be to just say 'this is way too hard'. You can’t go anywhere, even out for dinner, not only because you don't know what you will get (even if you order plain fish and steamed veg), but because the temptation can be too much ie sitting waiting for your ‘specially prepared’ meal, watching others eat bread rolls and drinking wine while you are absolutely starving and drinking water. It’s no fun! So its much easier to become a hermit at this stage of prep and stay away from any temptation. I am sure Damien would love it if I didn’t do any more comps but of course he would never say that - he is supportive of my competing. We used to go out for dinner quite a bit, well that just doesn’t happen now and I know he misses that. As do I :) BUT, I love the discipline required - I know there are not many people that can muster the will and determination, the focus and committment, to see through a goal such as getting on stage. To accomplish this means so much, it is such a powerful feeling inside, to know I have not sucumbed to the 'easy way out'. I'm not there yet, but I will be :)

Veggies are ready!

5 Comments:

  • Go Sue, Go Sue, Go!!!
    I agree completely with Mandy - we are lucky girls and you are always such an inspiration. I'm enjoying reading your journey and just had to say how great you looked in your pics, gorgeous as always :)
    Milena

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:45 pm  

  • Hi Sue,
    I found this post REALLY REALLY interesting as I've often wondered just how hard it would be to do a comp with all the prep etc. (My goal to compete in October has been temporarily shelved as I'll have a major life change in the lead up so thought better of it.)
    Whilst i don't want to give up on my goal, I know its going to be super tough as I wont have the same level of support and understanding that you have. I'm also scared of putting myself to the test to see if I'm tough enough.
    On the other hand I recall you said that you'd be training clients for comp prep soon so maybe that's my answer. With great support and guidance from you, all of a sudden the odds for success increase.
    Wish it was that easy :-)
    Magda

    By Blogger Magda, at 9:20 pm  

  • Hi Sue,
    I found this blog entry REALLY REALLY interesting. I've often wondered just how hard it would be to do a comp as I suspected the prep was pretty full on. Although I was planning to compete in October, I've decided to shelve this until later as I'n going to have a major life change just before then with a move interstate and a change of careers/ work hours etc. The comp will have to wait til things are more settled.
    You are SO LUCKY to have great support from Damien. (I wish my husband would take a leaf from his book!!)
    Please keep blogging with these interesting tidbits for all us competition junkies.
    Thanks
    Magda

    By Blogger Magda, at 9:45 pm  

  • Sue,

    You couldnt have put it any better. And I too am lucky enough to have a supportive hubby. He too misses the little things, like going out to dinner but knows thier are plenty more years to look forward to doing it!

    Sam

    By Blogger Sam D-M, at 11:45 am  

  • You are very goal-oriented and I admire your attitude and determination. You are very inspiring to a lot of women, including me!

    By Blogger CJ, at 12:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home